Monday, December 21, 2009

Leaving Words out – Verb Phrases – I can and have said so.

Consider this sentence:
?? All future editions will or have been corrected at this point.
You cannot just pick and choose what to omit. If you recover the missing pieces here you get either X. All future editions will been corrected or X. All future editions will corrected. Neither of these is English. Rewrite it either as All future editions will be or have been corrected or as All future editions will be corrected or have been (already).
Here now are some further examples of unacceptable ellipses:
?? No convict has ever or can ever escape. X. My brother refuses to and my sister insists on speaking French. X. We are, and must, work in London.
The mishandling of the -ing form of the verb, as in the last two example, is generally considered to be especially awkward.
By a curious convention, ‘faulty’ ellipsis is more acceptable if it occurs after rather than before the ‘recoverable’ word has appeared. Compare these two sentences:
?? I shall always and have always loved you. I have always loved you, and always shall.
Only a pedant would insists on adding the words love you at the end of the second sentence. Here are two more examples that most people would accept as standard:
They went to the shops because they were asked to (go to them). I live in London and my brother (lives) in Edinburgh.
There is a particular limitation on ellipsis in passives. Take a sentence like I had seen him but I hadn’t been seen by him. Although seen is shared, it cannot be omitted because in the first clause it is in a perfect construction while in the second it is passive: X. I had seen him but hadn’t been by him. Ellipsis only works if the shared forms are both passive or both not:
We were told but my sister wasn’t (told). He has told me and I have (told) her. X. He has told me, but my sister wasn’t (told).
For Scientific english editing and Medical Writing Services visitwww.manuscriptedit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment