Friday, March 12, 2010

English Usage - between - English editing.

In standard English it is correct to say between you and me but incorrect to say between you and I. There is a very good reason for this. A preposition such as between is correctly followed by objective pronouns such as me, him, her, and us rather than subjective pronouns such as I, he, she, and we. Thus it is correct to say between us or between him and her and it is clearly incorrect to say between we or between he and she.
People mistakenly say between you and I through confusing what follows a preposition and what ordinarily comes at the beginning of a sentence. They know that it is not correct to say John and me went to the shops and that the correct sentence is John and I went to the shops. They therefore assume that ‘and me’ should be replaced by ‘and I’ in all cases.
For Scientific english editing and Medical Writing Services visitwww.manuscriptedit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment